Sunday, April 1, 2012

MB12 shot

MB12.

Whats that? 

It is actually known as Methyl-B12. You can read all about MB12 and its breakthrough (its not a cure but part of the recovery journey) with autism here

That was the first question that ran through my mind when I first heard of it and parents have been raving about how they see positivity from the MB12 shot and boy, was I ever ready to want to give that to Jaden only to be told that he is not ready for it until just recently, in February. 

We had the first MB12 shot administered by Dr E, as I need to know how to inject into that little butt of his and how much to give each time.

The first shot was 0.05ml, and that, unfortunately was done without the numbing cream, so it had Jaden screaming in pain for a little while and shooting us dirty looks as if we had wronged him. 

That, I saw a little side-effect that would have been better off, was hyperactiveness from my already a lil active boy. He was jumping up and down the couch by the time we reached our hotel room.

Getting back to Malaysia, and trying to get my hands on the needles, those really fine insulin kind of needles was pretty confusing when it comes to me trying to convey what I wanted from the pharmacist and she ended up giving me empty syringes instead. *slaps head*

Then a kind mother helped me get a pack of 10s when she was getting hers and finally today, Mr and I administered the shot on Jaden's butt cheek. 

Since I saw hyperactiveness on 0.05ml dosage, I reduced it to 0.02ml this time round. Shall see if it works on Jaden this time, otherwise, we just have to up the dosage. 

To not traumatise the boy, I applied the numbing cream on Jaden 20 minutes before we injected MB12 into his butt cheek. 

The only struggle and cries that came from Jaden was due to not liking me pining him down the bed while the father quickly injected him with MB12. He was alright soon after we let him go so I guess it was not a painful affair although the father was feeling all jittery and scared when he was holding the needle near the struggling little butt cheek. 

So for now, guess its just time for me to monitor him and see if there are any side effects and the second shot should be on Tuesday and then Thursday and then Sunday. 3x a week for now.. if all goes well with 0.02 for today, I shall try to up it to 0.05ml the next round.

Finally ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment