Wednesday, June 29, 2011

GFCF Tomato Carbonara Pasta

Looking at how Jaden's GFCF food menu did not have much of a variety for months, I tried out a recipe I found on the GFCF Lady's blog and well, it turned out to be a hit with Jaden. OK, not exactly a hit but the taste was there, neither bland or too salty so I consider it a success.

There are a few recipes on GFCF Lady's website that I know I will definitely try in the near future. In fact, I think I am going to try at least 2 or 3 a week for Jaden. Kesian, he has to eat nearly the same food every day. No harm done to me anyway, it will just help better my cooking skills .. i hope!

I did not follow the recipe exactly but tweaked it to what I have in my kitchen.

I guess its a deed of paying it forward, so I shall paste my recipe and instructions on how to cook this dish. Simple, fuss free to the max.

Ingredients

  • 6 Organic Tomatoes
  • 1 or 2 Red Onion
  • 5 pieces of garlic (skin peeled and mashed a bit) 
  • Minced garlic (to fry with the minced beef)
  • half a pack of the chopped basil leaves
  • Minced beef (you can also use bacon)
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon of xylitol ( sugar )
  • a big sprinkle of sea salt (sprinkle to your common sense on how much its needed to make the sauce tasteful)
  • 3/4 pack of gluten free pasta (spaghetti / fettuccini)
  • Italian herb


Recipe


  1. While you are preparing the ingredients, bring the water in the pot to boil to cook the pasta.
  2. Make sure the water is boiling hot, put in a teaspoon of salt or whatever that is reasonable enough to make the pasta tasteful.
  3. Add the pasta -cook accordingly to the time instructed.
  4. Cut the tomatoes and onion into quarter and throw them into the blender together with the mashed garlic and chopped basil leaves.
  5. Pour olive oil into the blender, not too much and sprinkle a generous amount of sea salt and blend.
  6. Next, drizzle a little olive oil into the pot and fry the minced garlic till it nearly turns brown.
  7. Put in the minced beef, sprinkle salt, black pepper and italian herb and fry them till its cooked.
  8. Next, pour the blended sauce into the pot and bring it to a boil (medium heat)
  9. Put a teaspoon of xylitol into the sauce and taste to see if its a nice combination of saltyness and sweetness. Not too sweet of course. If not salty enough, add a bit more salt.
  10. Once the pasta is cooked, pour away the water and pour in the cooked sauce.
  11. Toss the pasta so that it will be coated in the sauce evenly.
  12. Let the pot of pasta cook over the fire for a little longer while you toss from time to time.
  13. Now you are ready to serve.

Sounds simple, no frills right? I appreciate simple recipes like these, for I am really a noob when it comes to cooking so ingredients and recipes require a bit more thinking just doesn't work for me.

Do share with me if you decide to try this recipe out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment